Friday, August 21, 2009

The Pinnacle


At 22 I've reached the American Dream. I own a house in white suburbia. We have 2 cars which are paid for. I married my high school sweetheart. She has a fabulous job making more than most of our peers parents make. She is educated. I am an educated man. I am pursuing more education, which only leads to more wealth. When in log into our banking info, I'm shocked at how much money we have/have the capacity to save. I have a fenced backyard (all it needs to be complete is a dog). Flat screen televisions, electronics, furniture, closets full of clothes. My parents (and most likely yours as well) told me those things are what comprise the good life. Love your wife, pay your bills, and raise up your children, get a raise, come home and watch t.v. I've done all of this (with the exception of kids). At 22, I've reached the pinnacle of the American Dream. The dream that the culture has bought into, as well as God's church. I was told that all of these things would make me content. But, they do not. I reached the dream and it wasn't what I thought it would be. My life is filled with all this stuff. But I feel empty. There has got to be more. I've been plauged by this new discovery. That my happiness is not contengent on my social status or my net income. And this is not a new concept to me. I've known this for what seems like eternity. You can't truly understand this until you yourself are placed in this situation.

More to come.

Sola Fide,
Daniel

BTW, Curtis suggested I add this picture to the blog. I think it is fitting.

2 comments:

greg key said...

good word bro! i guess it stands to say that king Solomon (the wealthiest and most prosperous king in Israel's history) discovered this as well. he wrote about it in Ecclesiastes.

and yet, it's hard to take someone else's word for it. too many times we have to find this out for ourselves, don't we.

thanks for the discovery. i pray more will come. God bless bro

Anonymous said...

may God be gracious to us and bless us and make His face to shine upon us, that Your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations. __psalm 67.1-2