Saturday, July 10, 2010

Community

It's been one week since I returned from my first youth camp while serving as the lead pastor. I was nervous. I was terrified at times. I didn't feel qualified to run a camp of students for an entire week. We survived. But not without a few battle wounds. I could hardly sleep at night. This was partly due to anticipation for the next day's activities and partly due to my inexperience. I made it through the camp. We made it through the camp. And it was amazing. I must say that I would have never been able to complete such a task if not for a wonderful group of volunteers. I must say that I would not have made it had it not been for my support group. This is the beauty of community. We share each other's loads and burdens. We do so gladly. We share the pains of life together. This bond makes the joys of life all the greater. Bitter & sweet we share. I remember earlier this year feeling depressed. I was exhausted. I was at my breaking point. I was crumbling under the pressure of working two jobs, completing my degree, trying to be a good husband, trying to find quality time with my wife & where I fit in according to God's global plan. I owe so much to my friends and wife who offered community when I wanted seclusion. At camp we discussed community. We all know that we need community. We all know that we need each other. But knowing and doing are two different things. I realized my need for community. As I looked back over the past year I realized that community was there all along. I realized that I didn't need to search for community, but rather embrace it. We simply can't do life alone. We need each other. Come to terms with this. We need each other for encouragement. We need each other to open up and confess our sins. Community doesn't judge. Community embraces honesty and seeks to see you through your dark moments. We are not alone. I am reminded of the account from the book of Nehemiah in which the people gather together in order hear the reading of the Scriptures. There was likely only one copy in the whole village. All the people gathered around. These people stood for 6-8 hours just to hear the word. Amazing. While this shows the importance of God's word, I think it also shows that the reading of God's word is to also be a public event. This is to be carried out in community. We gain so much from this unity built around the gospel. I am thankful for the ones that love me and have chosen to do life with me. Our bond is beautiful. We are strengthened as we lean on each other and press on toward the goal of finding our purpose in this broken world. This community is different. It is holy. Set apart. There is something holy about gathering with friends over a meal we've prepared as we tell stories, share our past & embrace our future in Christ. This is holy.

No comments: